When you stage a room as a bedroom, a headboard is always a good idea. It makes a big statement. Although they make a big impression, headboards can be very costly so, try to be creative and work with what you have.
- For example, you can use a piece of art on top of the bed. It will look great, especially if it’s the same width as the bed itself.
- Wallpaper is one of my favorites when it comes to staging a bedroom. Use it to create an accent wall (usually where the bed is located). That way, the entire wall becomes the headboard and it gives an amazing visual interest to the room.
- If your bed is located under a window, try to use that window, include it in your design. Frame it with drapes or curtains so it looks wider.
- If your bedroom is large enough, be creative and hang bookshelves on both side of the window. That will make a big statement in the room and it will become the main focus. Bookshelves on each side of the bed can be a great storage solution as well.
- You can make a headboard that suits your style with almost nothing: plywood, batting, fabric, a few staples and you’re done!
- A nice way to showcase your bed is to add a screen behind it. Again, use your imagination, think outside the box.
- You can make a mirror framed with decorative molding. This is sure to bring the WOW factor to your house! But if this solution seems a little too bold, forget about the mirror and use fabric instead. This will be as delightful to look at!
For a symmetrical look (especially in the master bedroom), use two side lamps or two sconces. During an open house, with the lights on, your headboard will be showcased just like art in a gallery.
See…just a hint of imagination and Voilà!
Certified Staging Expert
Owner of Voilà Design